Animals in the Glorious Quran by Ahmad Bahjat
The Ever-Glorious Qur’an presents to us the stories of the Prophets and the friends of Allah. Within these stories we find a group of animals that have played a great and significant role in history. This group of animals was mentioned in the Ever-Glorious Qur’an along with another group that included a bird, animal or plant but was actually a miracle of Allah. For example, Musa’s staff that was turned into a snake. ‘Isa’s clay that he had formed and breathed onto it, and it became a real bird by Allah’s Permission. The flocks of birds that Allah (Exalted and Glorified be He) sent to the companions of the elephant to strike them with stones of baked clay.
- The crow that Allah sent to Adam’s son in order to show him how to hide the dead body of his brother.
- The birds that Ibrahim (Abraham) had killed and divided upon the mountaintops and then Allah gave them life again.
- The cow of Banu Israel that Musa (Moses) ordered to be slaughtered in order to disclose the identity of a mysterious murderer.
- The wolf that was falsely accused of eating Yusuf (Joseph).
- The hoopoe of Sulayman (Solomon) that informed him about the Queen of Sheba.
- The termite that ate the staff of Sulayman on which he was leaning while he was sitting dead on his chair. After the termite had eaten through the wood, the Prophet fell down and his death became known.
- `Uzayr’s donkey whom Allah put to death for a hundred years and then gave it life once again, right in front of his owner’s eyes.
- The whale that swallowed Yunus (Jonah) for a while and then threw him out to the land because he was among those who praise Allah.
- The dog of the people of the cave that slept with them for three hundred and nine years.
- Sulayman’s ant that had called the ants to escape to their dwellings, lest Sulayman and his hosts crush them, while they perceive not.
- Abrahah’s elephant that was ordered to destroy the Ka’bah but was frozen in its place because of his fear of Allah and so he could not proceed.